Jun 28, 2011

Lately...

A lot has been going on in June, and a lot is still to come.  We’ve had some sunny days, interspersed amid our rainy, cold, “high of 57” days.  We have finally been able to have our hay cut, it was over waist high on me.  Yet another year (third in a row) where the hay will be “stemmy”.  We also got an electric fence installed for the north pasture, so there is now a new 10 acres of knee-high lush grass for the cattle to grow fat upon.  Wildman finished his first semester of his Master’s Program with flying colors (4.0), and has had a very busy 3 week break until the next semester starts.  The kids keep growing.  They have outgrown their school shoes and school jeans…can they just wear shorts and Chacos for three months?  The daughter is entering that pre-teen thing…we thought she wore her emotions on her sleeve before…now?  Woah. 

We have been busy the last while…from a WSU Institute Reunion held at the Heber Valley Girls’ Camp, to a business trip to Lehi, then a trip to St. George.  Now we are getting ready to host the annual Little Dew Ranch Reunion...followed by a 4th of July celebration here, including the 15k Freedom Run.  Then a birthday celebration for Wildman, which will include an RSL game next Saturday.  All that followed by assisting with a 4-day Thai Partner Yoga Therapy training to finish off my certification.

Below: the pavilion at the Heber Valley Girls Camp...

 Our cabins...


 Inside the cabin, our bunks...


 So now I’ve seen it with mine own eyes, this place I’ve heard so much about.  And yes, it is really nice and definitely well-done.  Each of the families that came for the reunion shared a little skit of some sort Friday evening after dinner. My little family acted out the cowboy poem Reincarnation, by Wallace McRea.  It was my kids acting debut, and though they are both terribly shy, they did their parts spectacularly!  I think the subject matter of the poem was a bit over most of the kids’ heads…but we had fun anyway.  I absolutely loved seeing everyone and their beautiful families!  I was reminded of many fun times, and felt so grateful to have been given the chance to know these incredible people.  I have yet to make it to a high school reunion, but I’ve only missed 2 of the 15 reunions this group has had.  They are truly the “salt of the earth” and I am grateful I get to be numbered among them. 
A quick pic of our whole group:

Below: Wildkid and his s'more smash...


 setting up for the skits in our cabin...

our skit...we had a lot of fun!




Our St. George fun...Town Square Water Park!







 Fun at "Anti-gravity"! a huge "bounce-house" of fun!


 crazy cousin M, flipping out!


So fun! And only a few injuries...:)



I also had some time to make up a new recipe. It started out as tiny spicy chicken, then became a sweet and sour chicken, then ended up as the best orange-ginger chicken ever.  And I made it up!!!  yummalicious.

Moonset...

 I love raw, untamed wilderness as much as the next guy, yet there is something about a recently harvested field that has a beauty all its own...

2 comments:

karensdanglingconversation said...

So much fun! I will love to see you again in July! If you come down early we should do some thai on each other!

Desertbound said...

Wow! Love all the goings-on. Thanks so much for taking Mayflower with you to St. George. She had a great time with her cousins:) She mentioned that the Bounce House place was pretty cool:)