Jun 2, 2011

And this was our weekend...

You know what Memorial Day was like?  Well, we woke up to nearly 3 inches (in places) of wet, slushy snow (luckily, it melted quickly).  As if that wasn’t enough, the snow was so heavy it broke lots of branches, and even pulled some trees down over the driveway.  I was praying the apple blossoms would make it.  We need a good harvest this year!  Wildman braved the cold and snow, dressed in winter gear (we never put it away) and spent the wee hours of the morning with a chainsaw, chain, and truck…removing the fallen trees.  Apparently, this spring has gone down in history as the wettest, coldest, snowiest spring in over 150 years. 

Wildman scraping off the windows of the truck...

Our apple blossoms...

The trees fallen over the driveway...


Through the yard...

dragging branches and trees to the burn pit...

we had campers here just two days previously...

Later, we had a fun visit from Sayyadina and crew.  I got to hold and munch on baby B. M and S gave us a tutorial on xbox live…I don’t know how much I’ll remember…they also brought games to share, and my kids were like zombies stuck in front of the xbox.  I have yet to learn how to use a controller, but I can do the kinect games with the best of them...okay, well…like a beginner, anyway.  I’m learning.  Slowly though, my hours are filled with domestic chores, barn chores, photography work, writing, etc.
yum.


I recently had my wonderfully talented SIL, HSF, cut my hair again.  I went for layered and side-swept bangs—which is really brave, considering I can’t stand to have my hair touch my face or neck anymore.  Surprise of surprises, I have been able to leave my hair down for almost 5 days now, since I got it cut.  Wahoo!  I love it! Thank you HSF!





Also, lately, I've been experimenting with the green smoothie concept.  It's not a new concept, call it "shrek smoothie, green smoothie, happy shake" or whatever--the fact remains it's brilliant.  I've found a delightful recipe that the kids go bonkers over:

Fill the blender with spinach and/or comfrey (mild greens)
Pour in 1-2 TBL. of Udo's Oil (omegas 3-6-9), add about a cup of orange juice
Blend like crazy into a green "sludge" (this makes the texture so much better)
Add 3 ripe bananas (option, frozen bananas) and about a TBL of psyllium powder and acacia fiber,
 blend again...
Add about 2 cups frozen peaches, and the secret ingredient is....essential oil of Lime! (thanks mom)
add a few drops...
blend until smooth, Its almost like a lime sherbet.
For a thicker smoothie, don't add much orange juice/liquid.  I like to be able to drink mine through a straw...
Any leftovers, I make into popsicles. I'll have fun trying out new recipes with my lemon balm and chocolate mint plants...when I find another great recipe, I'll post it. :)


Yes, he got his hair cut...he loves to make it spiky and comb it into a mo-hawk...

And....today is the LAST day of school!!! wahoo!!!!

1 comment:

DreamPacker said...

Hair is absolutely gorgeous! It is kind of a new look for you, and totally top notch. Hope it works out. Nice ideas on green smoothies. I have been using grape juice, but will have to go into the orange juice now that my grape juice is all gone (!?)...other oils that work well are tangerine or orange.