Jun 29, 2011
Ginger-Orange Chicken
the recipe I started from is here: http://www.food.com/recipe/tiny-spicy-chicken-160158
I was going for tiny spicy chicken, but didn't have all the ingredients on hand, so I had to improvise. What I ended up with was delightful! I actually didn't measure a thing, so I didn't write any sort of recipe down. I can offer the basics, and the recipe can be altered to taste, obviously.
I cut up a bunch of chicken into small pieces. (3-4 lbs?)
I dipped the pieces in raw egg, (scrambled in a bowl)
then covered them in corn starch.
I then browned them in a pan of olive oil, then placed them in a glass casserole dish.
The sauce: I have here what I used...this can be tweaked and altered to taste...
bring to a simmer in pan: (I just made enough sauce to cover the chicken in my dish...so measurements are approximate)
about a TB. of powdered ginger
one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
1- 1.5 cups brown sugar
3 TBs. soy sauce ( i used Bragg's Liquid Aminos because its GF)
1-1.5 cups orange juice
1/3 to 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
dash of sea salt
drops of essential oil of Blood Orange, to taste.
Pour over chicken pieces in dish, cover with foil for the first 45 minutes, and bake at 350 for about an hour...the cornstarch on the chicken should help thicken the sauce as it cooks. great over white rice. I am excited to try a Lemon Chicken version next time, substituting lemon juice for the orange juice, and lemon oil for orange oil. Woohoo!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It looks delicious and beautiful! Thanks for the suggestion!
Looks and sounds fabulous, can't wait to try it. Sounds way better than Panda's Orange Chicken.
Post a Comment