Jul 11, 2011

And summer arrives...

It is done.  The P Reunion and N Party, hosted by us—are done for another year. I love to see everyone and renew relationships, and I love to have my home back to myself, and in order.  I readily admit that I’m a homebody…I love to be home.  Vacations and trips are wonderful, to get to see new country and have new experiences, but I also love to go home, and look forward to it.  Just saying. 

The P Reunion was a lot of fun.  There was more “down time” where people could just sit and visit while the kids and teens found ways of amusing themselves.  There was a little volleyball to be had, a little outdoor movie theater action going on, a few games and relays, horseshoes, crafts, fireworks, good food, naps, water slide, hiking, and zoo visits. 




 Rio played a part too, and though he still is very lame on his hind leg, he gave great rides to the littler kids—after they had braided his mane and put some sparkly things in his tail.  I loved to see how he went from spunky-sassy to calm, quiet and gentle as soon as the first little kid sat in his saddle.  I even got all teary as I watched my down-syndrome nephew’s face split into a wide grin as Rio ever-so-gently walked around the field with him.  I also have a little niece who is absolutely terrified of animals, including horses.  By the end of the afternoon, she was standing under his head, touching his velvety nose, feeding him grass, and leading him around the yard.  Though she still wouldn’t climb on his back, Rio somehow got her to be okay with just hanging out with him.  Maybe it was his calm, quiet, gentle demeanor.  Maybe it was that he looks like a unicorn (minus the horn). She even asked me, as she stroked his soft muzzle, “does he like me?”.  Then she answered her own question, “He likes me.”  I could only smile and try not to let my “allergies” get too bad.  This is a horse that was headed to auction because he was so crazy, no one could handle him.  I loved seeing how, in his own way, without any vocal speech, he could dissipate fear and instill confidence into a little girl.  I realized it is what he had done with me—a not so little girl—but one with a traumatic past.  In his way, he had calmed my fears, and showed me I could trust him...this crazy horse that “nobody could ride”.  He has worked through his own past, and though there are still remnants of fears and distrust, they are not directed much toward people anymore.  The relationship I have with this little golden horse, and those I’ve had with other horses, is evidence—to me—that I have a Heavenly Father who is willing to use whatever it takes to heal broken hearts.  If that looks like a little horse with a heart more gold than his dappled coat, then so be it. 










The N Shindig was held on the 4th.  Wildman and my sister, Desertbound, ran the Freedom Run, a 15k (9.3 miles) race down Blacksmith Fork Canyon.  True to form, my allergies acted up repeatedly during the race.  There was one barefoot runner near the lead, a couple people ran in their Vibram 5 Fingers…and there were people of all ages and sizes.  The first place finisher ran a 52 minute race, and was only 14 years old.  Wildman took tenth in his age group, with a time of 1:14.  He hadn’t done much training for weeks prior, too much going on. He even had a severe bout of food poisoning 3 days prior to the race.  He had one blister, and was quite stiff the next day.  My sister totally rocked. She came in with a time under her goal. J Below is a short video I threw together of their finishes...(rated PC?)






The rest of the day was just hanging out with family ,parade, volleyball, waterslide, glowsticks…then we went to the MCHS fireworks show.   During both reunions, we all made sure the vicious and plentiful "radioactively enhanced" mosquitoes were well fed. Yesterday, we woke up with that “holiday hangover”.  Bleh. 

5 comments:

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

I don't have allergies. I simply cried. Awesome ode on the healing powers of your totem animal. Also, that vid of WM & DB finishing was simply inspiring!

Jaynalee said...

THanks for sharing.Way to go Aaron. You're awesome!

DreamPacker said...

Simply cried...horses, race video, family stuff...sniff**What a fabulous writer you are!!!

Pulcheria said...

Loved your thoughts on Rio and the way you were drawn to each other! The video of the race finish was awesome too! Love the smiles on both of their faces!

Bri!!! said...

Oh my goodness. I loved reading this about your love of Rio. So moving. There is nothing like the love of a horse. I actually wrote a blog about love of horses a few months ago I think you could definitely relate to.

http://brihoopes.blogspot.com/2011/01/love-of-horses.html