May 24, 2011

"What does reincarnation mean?" (rated PC)

Today, my “allergies” are really bad.  Watery eyes, runny nose.  I’ve come to accept that I’m just plain-old “allergic” to May 24th.  Yep.  Today is my “re-birth”day.  Five years ago, I was given the chance to “start over” so-to-speak. It’s always a very comtemplative time of year for me, now.  I ponder all the things I’ve learned since then.  I think about How I’ve changed and grown, and why.  I remember what happened, and all the ways my wonderful family and friends pulled together and took care of everything, including my kids, so my husband could be with me in the ICU.  Even now, 5 years later, I am overcome with gratitude and love for all those who cared enough to even offer a prayer on my behalf—let alone arrange a flight for my husband, pick him up at the airport, and bring him to the hospital.  For those who loved and held my kids when I couldn’t.  For those who visited me and braved the scary tubes, wires, nuts, bolts and screws… to hold my hand or offer a word of encouragement—or simply be normal in my presence, when everything else around me was anything but normal.  For those who made posters, or sent balloons and flowers. For those who loaned me their x-box so I wouldn't go totally nuts being bed-ridden.  For those who drove over state boundaries to “be there”. For those who made the difficult phone calls.  For those who disposed of my bloody, torn clothing.  For those who brought my horse home. For those who carried me up and down the stairs. For those who helped heal the physical wounds, and those who still help heal the emotional wounds. The list goes on and on and on.  I was overwhelmed with the out-pouring of love from family and friends and total strangers. Today, I am still overwhelmed and overcome.

There’s that phrase, “…opposition in all things”.  As traumatic and painful as May 24, 2006 and the days, and weeks that followed it were, they were also amazing, and in a way transcending….I was able to experience being the recipient of the incredible outpouring of true charity, the pure love of Christ. It was so humbling to come to the realization that I was really loved, that much.  That is priceless. I also realize, in all my old-woman wisdom, that May 24th didn’t happen just to me.  It happened to all those people mentioned above, and to all those with whom I come in contact.  So, in my reflective celebration of May 24th, I also celebrate all of you.  You may think that your love or service in those days was long ago forgotten—but I’m telling you, it has helped make me who I am, and is remembered and cherished often, and every May 24th.

 With Wayfarer’s passing last fall, I no longer have his mane to catch my tears, or his fuzzy lips to scratch my ear.  However, I think of him every day…and to help with the process of his passing, I put together this little movie of our last ride together.

 I’ve always loved late May.  And I guess I’m okay with being “allergic” to it, too.


5 comments:

Bri!!! said...

Loved this!

DreamPacker said...

Wow...what can I say...I have been pondering on this the entire day reflecting on the past five years. Lots of tears, especially watching this video. What fabulous photography and video! What a talent you have to put it all together with just the right music.

Pulcheria said...

The 24th always makes me stop and think too. I am so grateful to you for the love and patience with which you teach and touch those around you! Love you. Miss you!

Desertbound said...

Thanks for sharing Wayfarer with us all these years and thanks for sharing the video:) Our truest friends are those who are willing to go through the toughest times with us. He certainly is one of the best:) Thanks for the footage of Milo as well. I miss him, too:) Even though I read this post when you first posted it, I was too emotional to comment. Today is not much better, but at least I can somewhat see the keyboard! Love you Sis. So much!

CowboyBob said...

I've watched this several times and still can't sort through all the wonderful memories flooding in. And the emotions. What a special gift Wayfarer, Buster, and Milo gave us. I've tried to find words for all that is in my heart this triggered, and can't. So, thank you. And thank you for being you. I love you.