Apr 12, 2011

Deer Springs Ranch, Day1

We spent most of our Spring Break with the HSF family, at a place in southern Utah called Deer Springs Ranch.  Knowing the weather was going to be iffy, we reserved a rustic cabin and crossed our fingers, hoping the weather would be kind enough to allow passage to and from the cabin.

We arrived in the early afternoon, unpacked, and decided to take advantage of the as of yet fair weather. We traveled another 16 miles on dirt roads, crossing streams and  loving the beautiful and remote scenery.

Below: We drove over Bull Valley Gorge, a nearly 100 foot deep slot canyon that will be added to our list of canyons to do next trip. The HSF clan below, parked  directly over the gorge.  Hell's Backbone ain't got nothing on this.
Below: Bull Valley Gorge...

Below: Wildman and Wildkid standing on the edge of the gorge.

Below: at the trailhead to Willis Creek, a wonderful kid-and-me friendly slot canyon.  I wasn't sure of the water depth or temperature, so I suggested rainboots to those who had them...

Not just kid friendly, but horse friendly!  Just not sure how to get a horse out there in a trailor...
Below: The top part of Willis Creek...



The narrows section of the creek, its about 100 yards of curvy, stripey stone, love it!
All our foot wear...Wildgirl loved hiking in her Vibrams!






The colored rocks and stone just wouldn't quit...
One of the many streams we drove through to get to Willis Creek.  This one was actually Willis creek. :)

One of the views of the Pinks, on our way back to the cabin.

We had scones for dinner, and Wildman made sure we had a toasty warm fire in the wood-burning stove.  Nothing like a cozy cabin 50 miles from the nearest light switch.  Aaahh.......

3 comments:

Sayyadina said...

I can't wait until you guys take me and my family up to this spot! I know you have it in the back of your minds.... :) Looks like so much fun. Looking forward to reading more about the trip!

Canyonsrcool said...

I've hiked through Bull Valley Gorge . . .fun little canyon, not too long if I remember right (2 hrs?). Did you see the car that was stuck between the canyon walls at all? Got there back in the fifties I think, and still there. Willis Creek look cool, or your pictures make it look cool!

Pulcheria said...

Awesome pics! Its sounds like an replenishing break!