After my sister, Desertbound's, last post I thought I'd share a little more information about disorders of the basal ganglia...the part of the brain that is associated with spasmodic dysphonia...(for more info on SD, go here.) Another disorder of the basal ganglia is Parkinson's Disease (Wildman's dad has this) and Tourette Syndrome, and my daughter, Wildgirl has this. Below is more information on TS...and I would be grateful if you'd take the time to educate yourselves a bit on this disorder, simply to better interact with Wildgirl and know what's going on. Wildgirl inherited this from both sides of her family, poor kid got the "double whammy".
Tourette Syndrome (TS) is a neurological movement disorder that is inherited. It affects between 100,000 to 200,000 people in the United States. About 1 million Americans may have very mild symptoms of TS. A person with TS makes involuntary and repeated body movements, called "tics." The tics are not always present, but may worsen with fatigue or stress. (Wildgirl's tics are much worse when she comes home from school, and gradually ease and almost disappear when she gets home. However, her tics worsen with any kind of anxiety or excitement. Apparently, to the brain, they are pretty much the same thing. So, playing with friends and cousins, her tics get worse, because she's excited....she loves to play.)
Wildgirl's symptoms are actually quite mild, and we'd like to keep them that way. We've found something that really helps her tics/symptoms, and that is physical touch, especially the calm, soothing kind of touch. Thai Partner Yoga Therapy had near miraculous results for her, and I will be certifying in TPYT this summer. For info on what this is, go here.
Prevention
There is no known prevention of this Tourette's syndrome. However, some of the psychological complications can be secondary to the social limitations imposed by the disease. Close monitoring of the patient for the early detection of emergent emotional disorders is very important. Also, education of the persons that relate to him/her (family members, teachers, classmates, friends) may also help to create a better environment for the child and prevent emotional issue
Tourette Syndrome Fast Facts
- The symptoms of TS generally appear before the age of 18, with the median age of onset being 7 years of age.
- The first symptoms are usually facial tics, such as eye blinks.
- Although there are treatments, there is as yet no cure for TS and symptoms can last throughout one's life.
- The symptoms of TS generally decline in severity after puberty. In 20-30% of cases, the symptoms disappear entirely as the person with TS ages into their 20s.
- People with TS have a normal life span.
- TS does not affect a person's IQ.
- Tics decrease in frequency and intensity during sleep.
- TS is seen in all ethnic groups.
- Males are affected by TS three to four times more often than females.
- The majority of cases of TS are classified as mild, although specific symptoms and their severity vary from person to person.
- Most people with TS are able to hold jobs and lead full lives.
Below is a video that really helped Wildgirl to understand better what Tourette Syndrome is, and to feel that she is not alone (and that her mom isn't just making all this up).
5 comments:
That video is awesome. Those kids are so dang cute. We have a lot of ADHD in my family and when my sister would take meds she would develop a tic. They would switch meds and it would come back. It's tough, but like the kids in the video, they learn tolerance and self acceptance in a different way than other kids. Good luck. I'm glad to hear hers is mild. I've actually known quite a few people with tics and they turned out great!
We love our sweet, beautiful, smart, fun Oakley.
We all have "tics" and "tremors". Some are just visible.
Love that Wildgirl so much! I don't understand how it took me so long to put 2 and 2 together. The video was darling. I would like to have my family watch it. Thanks, too, for all the info on TS. My cute LDS doctor at the voice clinic has told me that anything that "depresses" or CALMS the central nervous system seems to help symptoms. Like a glass of wine ;) Sounds like some Yoga therapy is in order. Maybe I could get him to write me a RX for it and then bill my insurance!
Appreciate you sharing. I didn't know all that. But glad I do now. I guess I'm not around enough to notice. . .
Wow! Now that I'm almost 16 and understand what's going on with me so often, it's unbelievably nice to watch this video and not feel alone! It actually helps me feel better to know that I'm not the only one. I wish more people would learn about TS because there are a lot more people out there than we realize that have this problem. I'm fortunate enough to see it in other people because I deal with it so frequently. Physical touch still helps a whole heck of a lot!
Post a Comment