Sep 26, 2009

Coyote Gulch Lament

No longer the barefoot-desert-oasis-of-wonder. Too many violent flashfloods have sculpted this little gem into a treacherous-path-of-destruction. This week's trip to Coyote Gulch...was it fun? I wouldn't classify it as fun, but definately challenging and empowering. Glad I went, and glad I lived to tell. Learned about how, even post-pelvis crush, I can haul a 40 pound pack up a 2.5 mile 45 degree mountain of sand and only be a little stiff in my calves the next day. Learned that I can scramble around on steep, treacherous slickrock and narrowly escape tumbling to my premature death on the giant, sharp boulders 40 feet below...while carrying my 40 pound pack. Learned I can indefinately postpone the panic attack said slickrock scramble can inspire. Learned what my true limits are, and that they are much loftier than I thought. Learned what it sounds like to be enjoying the quietude of a small slot canyon, only to have that silence ended by the screaming of 2 fighter jets careening through the narrow canyon. Just like the movies. Learned the feeling of anxiety concerning sleeping in a large rock alcove, wondering if "geological time" will happen when I close my eyes and I will be buried in a tumble of sandstone boulders. Learned how to humble myself and hike as slow as I need to. I remembered how nice it is to sleep in the open, warm night air and watch the milky way appear. I learned that, definately, happiness is shared.

Below: JT, pointing the way to the trailhead. We had already driven 40 miles on dirt road...

Below: Poor fools...hiking "in" to Coyote Gulch ;)
Below: Our campsite, my one-man tent.

Below: Backpacker Bob facing the "slickrock of insanity".

Looking down on "crack-in-the-wall", yes, we squeezed through that.

Below: Flashflood shrapnel, a 30 foot drop on the other side of these boulders that wasn't there "before".

Below: yum. it was mud like this everywhere.

Reflection of Stevens Arch, on water over quicksand...

Morning light...


6 comments:

Pulcheria said...

Sounds like a memorable trip. Glad you got the chance to experience all it turned out to be. Oh, and you totally rock!!
P.S. See you next week!

CowboyBob said...

I too learned much. Thanks for letting me tag along. My most cherished memory of the trip is being with you and Justin.

Desertbound said...

Wow! I'm glad you learned so much! Ya, I hate the "slanting slabs of horror". They always give me great pause! I've got to figure out another way up and down the bottom of that canyon... Maybe from now on, we will just rappell in at Jacob Hamblin arch, explore the 6 miles or so of canyon from there and not bother going all the way to the Escalante...? I'm so glad the Desert did not disappoint you:)

Bethany said...

I would soooo rather deal with mud, the "horrors" of slickrock, and flashflood debris than be at work. I'm jealous.
Way to go T!!!!

Taunya said...

Bethany almost quoted me exactly. "A bad day in the back country beats a good day at work anytime". It was great to spend time with you and Dad. Thanks for the memories and the the patience with us old guys.
-JT

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

What an amazing trip, with amazing people, and amazing adventures. Well done, and thanks for the pics so I could share vicariously.