Oct 12, 2009

Getting "caught up"...

It's been awhile, so this is gonna be a long post. But lots of pictures!

Back in September, some friends of mine and my mom wen for a horse ride to White Pine Lake, via the Bunchgrass Trail, out of Logan canyon. it was a great ride, beautiful, but the longest ride (distance) I think I've ever done. It was a 16 mile round trip. Woah. I was almost as tired as my little horse. Pictures below:



It's also been harvest season. Below is some of our rather large produce...ever had a parsnip? I love them!


Our neighbors have about 100 apples trees, about 50 macintosh and about 50 galas. Back at the end of August we juiced a bunch of the macintosh, then just recently did 14 boxes of galas! We got over 30 gallons of fresh, divine, apple juice!
The apple press, and our friend Karen working it...this is the shredding process, after the shredding, then the pressing. I'll have to show that later...


And, with the help of my wonderful mother-in-law, bottled 48 quarts of apple pie filling. YUM! I use it to make apple crisp.
Below: pie filling and apple juice
Then, on the last day of September, Wildman and I decided to take the NEW camera for a drive, and drove to North Fork via the Avon road. It was beautiful.

We turned a corner and found this bull moose strolling down the road. That fence he's next to? He stepped over it. Not jumped. He was SO tall!




We also gathered a bunch of elderberries to make the fabled Mountain Road Ranch elderberry jelly...


The following week, same horse riding friends, plus my dad, went for a ride in North Fork. Gorgeous as always, though a little chilly.


Below: My new favorite retreat/place...Shenoah Picnic Area in Blacksmith Fork Canyon....







And, last but not least, My Activity Days girls enjoying homemade carmel with gala apples. To die for.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Glad you are not just a slacker. :)

Marzipan said...

A new camera??? That sounds fun!

Canyonsrcool said...

I would so drive to Logan for some apple juice. And to see you guys too of course :)

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

There's so much coolness going on in this post, I hardly know where to start! Sweet trails (new camera? awesome!). Do you roast the parsnips? Never had them, but I intend to. Those apples (raw & preserved) are mouth-watering.

love & miss you guys.