Feb 11, 2008

Winter Ride

Back in January, Wildman and I braved the nasty roads and drove to the Mountian Road Ranch to go for a horse ride. The snow was over 2 feet deep, and still coming down. We took Macey with us, hoping we could wear her out.
Above: saddling Shrek. Isn't he gorgeous?

Above: Ready to head out. I rode Wayfarer, Wildman rode Shrek. Macey was only on a leash until we crossed the road and headed up the mountain.

Above: We've discussed in the past Macey's velcro-ness with burrs...we didn't know it also applied to snow! She was covered from chest to rear with snowballs, most of them the size of grapefruit. She had a very hard time keeping up with us on the ride, not because she was tired, but because she couldn't move! It was crazy! A very strange phenomenon...


Above: Wildman, taking a stick to the snowballs, causing them to explode. It was the only way to get them off. They were so compacted. She lost some fur in the process.
I had a great time riding in the mountain snow, Wildman was freezing. He kindly went under a low-hanging snow covered branch for me, and got dumped on, so he was wet the entire ride. But I had a blast! I miss the horses. I'm so excited for spring...

6 comments:

Pulcheria said...

Glad you had a good ride! Poor Macey!

Bri!!! said...

LOL, those snowballs are nuts. Poor dog. How cool you braved the freezing cold to go riding. Very cool. I miss riding sooo much.

Take care,

Bri

CowboyBob said...

I'm becoming anxious for spring, too.

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

@ Bri: Hmm. Is there a double-entendre in the phrase “those snowballs are nuts” ? That gives the post quite a different spin. :)

Looks like quite the adventure. Nice.

Sayyadina said...

Thanks for sharing. that does look like fun.

Bethany said...

@AT
I though the same thing with the reference to snow"balls"
@WB It looks cold, hope it was worth it. I am ready for spring.