Nov 17, 2007

This week...


Wow. Talk about a busy week. With choir rehearsals, and a recording session! That was really fun. Five hours of going over and over the Christmas songs we're doing. I loved it. I now know the music MUCH better. I have three concerts. I'll email that info. Two of our concerts are at the Kent Concert Hall, on campus. We are joining with the USU Chamber Choir and Logan High School for this Christmas concert. We do four combined numbers, lots of fun. I am SO glad I joined this choir. It's been such a great break from the "routine". Singing (in a group) is, for me, a great "stress buster". I can't sing and be in a bad mood. They just don't go together. Christmas has such a different feel for me when I can sing christmas music in a choir. Christmas and choirs go together like joy and chocolate...I have a wonderful husband who makes it happen so I can go. He patiently listens to all the stories and "gossip" of the choir after each practice. Being an avid people-watcher, I love watching the dynamics of the "dating-scene". Lots of entertainment. I'm so glad I'm married. It's interesting seeing the changes come over the guys when they find out I'm married. Sometimes (usually) they become comfortable around me, like there is suddenly no pressure. But once, I had a guy, after finding out I was married, say, "uh, this is awkward." ??? So, I am having lots of fun, and loving the singing.
This week was also Pocketmouse's seventh birthday! We went bowling and had a fun little party. Wildman is busting his arse to get his testing done so he can enjoy the upcoming holiday. Last night was the priests dinner for our ward. It was themed as a "Fall Harvest" dinner, but really, it was a wild game dinner. I got to try elk, venison, buffalo, pheasant, and wild turkey. Very interesting! Wildman grilled up a salmon for the "taster's table", and got a lot of compliments on it. Not bad for an ex-vegan... ;) So, with lots of busy-ness, we look forward to the up coming holiday season, and hope that the busy-ness will turn into quality time with all of you!

14 comments:

Sayyadina said...

Sounds like so much fun! happy Birthday PM!

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Oh, how I love reading your updates. You are so candid, and I really feel YOU in them.

I also love WM's salmon, and am not surprised it was a hit.

Funny as heck about the guy in the choir that dropped his transmission, while shifting into reverse. :) "this is awkward." Priceless.

And I totally understand about the choir-Christmas connection. I felt it then, and miss it now. WM's a stud.

Oh, and about your how "Singing (in a group) is, for me, a great "stress buster". I can't sing and be in a bad mood. They just don't go together." All I have to say is Amen! There's something about being part of a "We" that being a mere, "I" will never comprehend, and with which it simply cannot compare. ( :p couldn't help myself, there, M'D)
;)

Canyonsrcool said...

I hear ya! with the busy-ness I mean. I really can't hear you sing in the choir from all the down here . . .

Deena said...

I, like you, so do not miss the whole dating scene. ick.

CowboyBob said...

Turning busyness into quality time is what life is all about. That about sums up the whole purpose. Funny, at this stage of life, I have only fond memories mixed with a few humorous ones about the dating scene.

Muad'Dib said...

I agree. Love singing. Happy happy joy joy.
AB, in a choir you're still an "I," merely receiving value and joy from the "exchange" of singing with and for others. Keep trying. ;)

Ahenobarbus Textor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Your post, WB, has really gotten me remembering some of the better choirs/musicals/partnerships I’ve been in, and currently enjoy. The thing about a really good choir is that it is far more than the sum of its parts. In that respect, it’s kind of like a really good marriage: it has something more than just two individuals proclaiming “I.” When a choir sings in perfect unison, blending their voices as one, an angelic symbiosis occurs that transcends the merely “I,” and approaches the divine mandate to “be one.” For those who have experienced (and remember) this merging of self into a greater whole, no explanation is possible or necessary. To me, that rush of perfect unity feels very similar to an embrace by the Savior, the ultimate self-sacrificer.

Desertbound said...

Bruce McKonkife states: "Music is given of God to further his purposes. Sweet melodies mellow the souls of men and help prepare them for the gospel. After men receive the truth, songs of praise to Deity help to sanctify and cleanse their souls." WB - Thanks for sharing all your fun.

Bethany said...

GO ELder BRuce! IT is true.
Some complain about Christmas music in stores too early. I would rather listen to Christmas music in the stores than some other types of music. I was in a craft store yesterday shopping while listening to the favorite "Come Thou FOunt". You gotta love that. They can play hymns during the holidays and get away with it.

Wildman said...

If she doesn't post this, it will be her modesty showing through.

WB taught her first lesson in RS Meeting last week and literally had the entire bunch sobbing. Dozens of people have since come up to me at work, school, church, etc and praised her ability to touch their hearts and teach them about themselves.

Yeah, that's my love... ;-)

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

WM: Awesome. Thanks for passing that along.

Sayyadina said...

What's funny about that, AB, is that I disliked small groups for the same reason you like them. I felt lost, or overpowered by the insecurities of others that made them feel the need to outsing eachother, or COMPETE.

One thing about singing with WB (and I'm sure others have noticed this) is that she is confident enough in her voice that she gives of her "I" adding BALANCE to another voice. She does not merge and lose herself. She ADDS.

WB, the choir you sing with is sure lucky to have you. I miss singing with you, myself.

Pulcheria said...

I can only say how much more complete my season will be getting to hear you sing! So I am thrilled you are getting so much from it as well.