Oct 23, 2007

Dog Saga Continues...

Macey has been with us now for just over 3 weeks. She is still sweet and wonderful. She has, however, shown a need/desire to go through the garage and pick things out to chew on. It's like she goes shopping in the garage. She has a sudden interest in wandering over to the neighbor’s yard to play with their dogs, one of which is not neutered. She also seems much more agitated and distracted. Her brain, which is normally quite present, is pretty much gone. So, today, she is at this moment, getting fixed/altered/spayed…choose your word. This morning, the vet weighed her, and she had gained 5 pounds since our last visit, two weeks ago. This is good, because she was a bit boney under all that fluff. We don’t really know how long she had been on her own/abandoned.

I have taken her on two horse rides, she was great on both. She has a very healthy respect for horses and stays clear of their hooves. She still is not completely dependable to come when called, so I ride with her on a long leash most of the time. She still loves it and does great. She could soooooo go all day long. We are excited to get a pulling harness and small sled for her to learn to pull the kids around this winter.

Below: Here, we see her strange sleeping habits. She loves to sleep all night right in front of our door. Sometimes, this is what we look out to see. To someone who doesn’t know that she is just a big fluffy furrball of joy and joyness, she may look a little intimidating, sitting in front of our door. So funny.
Macey, trying to get Ringo to play. Playing with him and going on horse rides are her favorite things.
Here, she is sleeping in the rain, which doesn’t bother her at all. Her top coat gets wet, but underneath she is dry, just like a horse.

Pocketmouse's pillow. Very patient pup.

NAM, giving Macey a big hug.

Me and Macey, bike riding. She does pretty good as long as Ringo is nowhere around, otherwise she worries about where he is and if he’s too far behind…She does make a good jogging/ hiking partner.

NAM and Macey, hanging out…

Her eyes…for Sayydina...

Relaxing…she knows how to take it easy…

Macey, headed out for the morning “caribou” hunt. We call them Cowiboos now. She will actually wander through the herd while they are all laying down, dozing, trying to get them to get up and chase her. She’s too funny. What’s interesting, is she silently plays/hunts them. She doesn’t growl or bark like a heeler or collie, or lab, for that matter.

She is a beautiful dog, everyone who meets her comments on how pretty she is. She is starting to grow out of her puppy stage, into the adolescent stage. She can definately test our patience at times. Wish us luck!

9 comments:

Bethany said...

OK, total wolf eyes. Have you seen Survivorman's episode with sled dogs? It could be worth your while.

WildBound said...

No, I haven't seen it...would love to though...

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

I'm very glad you've let yourself bond with this one. She seems very sweet. Lee will be so happy about the pulling harness!

Desertbound said...

Are her eyes 2 different colors? I would still love to bring Milo up to round up some cowiboos. Seems like the kids love her! Great pics BTW.

Anonymous said...

Loved the pics and story. I also love to sleep with my arms over my head when on my back. Dreampacker chides me about it cause it makes her cold. Read some interesting psychological studies about personalities that sleep that way, but didn't feel they applied to me so I have forgotten what they said.

Deena said...

She is such a pretty puppy. I love her stretched out in front of the door. It looks like she's pretty comfortable and at home there.

Pulcheria said...

What great pictures! I love the one of Pocketmouse sleeping on her. When I was in highschool we had a black lab named Rocky. I used to lie on his back and read for hours. It's still one of my favorite memories. I am so happy to hear that you are all doing so well with Macey!

Sayyadina said...

Oh thank you thank you for the picture of her eyes. I was just looking through the pictures thinking, "I love that dog!"
Sad she's getting "fixed," but glad you are happy.

hug her for me. This must be so much fun for you!!!

Muad'Dib said...

You did NOT just say "joy and joyness." you're too funny.