Aug 18, 2007

"I'm blogging this..."

Yesterday, Desertbound invited us to go to the beach (PineView Resevoir) with her and her girls for one last hoo-rah before school starts. Wildman had work, so I packed up the kids and we headed off to N. Ogden. We had a great spot on the beach. We had fun playing in the big waves caused by the boats zipping by. Yes, even I got in the water, with much sqealing and screeching at the lack of warmth. When a storm rolled in, we packed up and went down canyon to the hotsprings by the river. We soaked for awhile...I in the hot springs, everyone else going from the hot springs to the river then back to the hot springs....a bunch of crazies. Everyone's swimwear stayed on, I mean, there was a busy road only a few yards away... and it was broad daylight... Anyway, after making sure we were good and mossy, we headed back to home base.

Once back at Desertbound's, the kidlets wanted to jump on the trampoline with a sprinkler going beneath it. Great fun. I was even contemplating getting wet myself when.... I looked over just in time to see little NAM come crash landing onto Pocketmouse's head. They both came up screaming. After pulling them off the trampoline, I discovered NAM had split open his chin. I discovered this because it was kind of hard to miss the blood everyhwere. Never fear, we got pictures. Only in my family does injury cause everyone to reach for their phones...not to call 911, but to take a quick picture to "blog this". "Keep talking/crying/bleeding, I'm blogging this!" ;)
We gave Pocketmouse a kiss on the head, then took NAM to the instacare. Our first ever trip. He received 4 stitches, without a single flinch. Seriously. The nurses and doctor were amazed at how good and calm he was. He didn't move a muscle or make a peep, even with all the needles and sewing and such. Of course, he didn't talk to them either, or answer their questions. It was as though he was in "the zone". He did say he didn't want to spend the night at the clinic...some flashbacks, I think, of my accident. He was awesome, and I am so proud of him.

Later, while back at DB's, Milo (their dog) was super excited about the incoming storm. He was so excited he pulled/ripped the hose off the faucet/wall. Water "exploded" everywhere. It was this, not the stitches, that NAM cried about later that night at bedtime. He said the exploding water scared him, that he hadn't wanted to go to the doctor, and he wanted to jump on the trampoline. I love that kid. We talked about how I hadn't wanted to go to the doctor either when my bones were broken, that I was scared, but I needed the doc to fix my bones so I could walk again. He asked if they were all better yet. I said yes, and he wanted to see them. He settled for looking at and touching my scar. He seemed satisfied with that.

Above: The blood dripped quite profusely and quickly for a minute, then clotted and stopped.



Above: The nurse cleaning and numbing the wound. This is his zone face.

Above: NAM laughing at Desertbound's antics in the clinic...


Above: right before the stitches, "zone face" again.



And....after! 4 neat, wire, stitches. I even watched them do it. Nice fish hook, Doc.
(photos by Desertbound and Scout)

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Love the battle wound story. Love the zone face. Love that there are photos of every leg of the journey. Right on! Chicks dig scars.

Deena said...

What a tough boy!

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

He must have come down with a significant amount of force to split the skin like that. Wow. Ouch. BTW, did Pocketmouse have a headache this morning? Way to keep your head and capture the trauma in digital film. :)

Ps. I'm glad you guys are getting good use of Ogden Hot Springs. Use it lots, for me. Well, that one and the other one's I've introduced you guys to (e.g. Meadow HS, Diamond Fork HS.)

Desertbound said...

T! I'm sorry the exploding pipe was upsetting. What a day NAM had! I hope he'll still want to visit.

Wildman said...

That's my boy

CowboyBob said...

If chicks dig scars...anybody want to see my scars?