Jul 9, 2007

More Creepies...let's call her Charlotte...

At the request of many, here is the picture I took of a wolf spider at the Mountain Road Ranch. It was HUGE. It was so big it moved like a tarantula. It's carrying its offspring on its back.

9 comments:

DreamPacker said...

And to think this creepy thing was at MountainRoadRanch! Thanks for the link to wikipedia.

CowboyBob said...

Mothers always seem to carry the heavier load. But she could have had help if she hadn't . . .

Sayyadina said...

I don't know what possessed me, but I actually clicked on the pic and enlarged that little monster until it was a gargantuan monstrosity glaring at me with it's many offspring. Now I think my heart is somewhere up around my throat and my fight or flight reflex is taught. Eww.

Wildman said...

Then she sprayed it with a hose and the babies went everywhere. I like the ranch on mountain road.

Desertbound said...

EEEEeeeeeeewwwww!!!! Ick!

Deena said...

I did the same thing as sayyadina. yuck yuck.

WildBound said...

Do you all know why the babies on its back are kind of blurry in this picture? Because they were moving so much, the camera didn't focus on them very well. How's that for icky. And I did NOT spray it with the hose...Wildman did, and I screamed as the babies flung themselves in a hundred different directions....

Muad'Dib said...

"How about...CRUNCHY, Charlotte?"

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Woah! How did I miss this post the first time around?? Yeah, those mountain wolf spiders can get huge - especially the ones you see on scree slopes in the Wasatch/Bear River range. I've never seen one carrying its foul progeny, though. Cool.