It's my goal this year to hike the Wellsvilles. I have lived in Cache Valley for over 7 years, and have not done this hike...though I see this mountain range every day. I have actually found that few locals have done this hike, and my husband, A, has lived in Cache Valley most of his life and did the hike for the first time last year. The Wellsville range is only moderately tall, but they are particularly narrow. For this reason, it is often claimed they are one of the steepest mountain ranges in North America. Box Elder (9,372') and the Wellsville Cone (9,356') are its two highest peaks. A, and his friend, SM, started the hike at the Rattlesnake Trailhead, at about 6am in late September. Photos below:
Early morning view looking east, from the Rattlesnake...
Sunrise from Rattlesnake...
SM, watching the sun rise...
A, with an incredible view!
Clouds on the ridge...
looking towards home...Blacksmith Fork Canyon in the sun rays...with Hyurm Dam...
More cloudy ridges, looking northeast...
SM checking out the cool twisty tress...
Gorgeous views!
Barely a trail...
Can you see why I want to do this?!
Lots of fossils in the rocks along the ridge...
SM, wondering which way is which...inside the clouds...
SM and "Pup"
This is what the ridge looked like after I picked them up at the end of Deep Canyon. They had hiked through clouds most of the way. The 15-ish miles took them about 7 hours. My turn! :) Who wants to join me? I'm looking at the end of June...to catch the wildflowers...and maybe snow?
And, the range in the winter...



















No comments:
Post a Comment