Feb 5, 2013

Legs up the Wall

Its been a long, cold, dark winter.  For about 6 weeks, we never saw the sky....not because of clouds, but from smoggy inversion nastiness.  For those same 6 weeks, we had an average high temperature of about 10 degrees, and an average low of about -10 degrees.  Because of the extremely poor air quality, we were not allowed to build fires in our stove,  so our preferred method of heating our home was no longer...legal.  Its around this time that I begin to crave the red rock country, its bright sunny skies, wide open vistas, bold colors, and desert-y scents.  I get a bit stir crazy, or "cabin fever".  I long to go out and play with the horses, but the bitter cold is painful just going out to feed them.

 I have done my best to keep myself working on things I don't really get a chance for during the warmer months...writing, studying, updating and re-organizing all my journals/notes/pictures/videos...delving into clutter-clearing and letting go of things that no longer serve who I am. This introspective awareness of how I've changed over the last year, and who I've become through the new things I've learned and applied, leaves no room for carrying around old baggage--both the physical kind and the emotional/spiritual kind.  Its like a winter-shedding.

One of the things that has helped me get through this cold, dark time is a pose/technique I learned in my yoga class, referred to simply as "legs up the wall".  I had been introduced to it briefly a couple years ago, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work for me, so I didn't really do much with it.  However, with this recent go-around, we had the chance to really learn about it and practice it in class, and I fell in love with it.

It can be used as a means to help a person fall asleep for the night, if done right before bed--essentially not even standing vertical as you crawl from the floor into your bed. Or, as a 20 minute pick-me-up during that part of the day when all you want to do is fall asleep.  I have been experiencing some pretty major chronic fatigue over the last 3 years, and this pose is a major boon that helps me get through the day.

Props needed:
a wall, a flat bolster or folded/rolled blanket
optional:  eye pillow/bag, and a cozy warm blanket.

Start with the bolster or rolled blanket snug against a bare wall. Sit on one "cheek" on one side of it, and gently lean to the opposite side, swing your legs up and around, with your torso ending up on the ground, and your hips propped up on the bolster.  This takes a little practice to get it just right with out having to fiddle around with adjusting your position.  Once comfortable, place your eye pillow over your eyes, cozy up with your blanket and focus on your breath, particularly the exhale.  Take a minute or two and relax any tension you find you are carrying or holding in your body.


I found, at first, I could stand it for only a few minutes before my feet and legs got "too tingly" or had the feeling they were "falling asleep".  With repetition, that feeling has become less and less, and I can now stay in this position for up to 30 minutes, though about 20 minutes is usually just about right.  Bringing your legs down slowly helps to let the circulation back into the feet more gradually, so the "tingly" isn't too intense.  After about 20 minutes, slowly bend the knees, letting the legs rest in this position for a few minutes, then gently let them fall to the floor as you lay on the floor for a few more minutes.  If you are going to bed, crawl into bed now..if you have the rest of your afternoon ahead of you, you will probably find your mind to be clearer--the brain fog lifted somewhat.


About half the time, I find I wander into what is called yoga nidra, the other times I simply focus on releasing any tension I have through the breath.  I love having the eye pillow (yes, mine is a pony). I can go much deeper, much faster, as the pillow helps to calm any excessive thoughts. YUM. The video below is a clip of my yoga teacher, from Bodhi Yoga, explaining why (among other sleeping tips) "legs up the wall" has the effect it does.  I love it....:)



2 comments:

grandmamarie said...

Hello! This is hsf's mom. I was just watching the videos with Syl Carson and I'm wondering if she has yoga videos availble that I could do at home. I'd need to start very simply, maybe with chair yoga, because I'm old and achy and out of shape. But I did it as I watched the chair yoga video and it really made me feel good! Not too much balance required, which is good because everything's a little off right now. Any suggestions for me?
Thanks!

Desertbound said...

It's been a very long, cold, dark winter here too. I've thought of you often:) I love the info you posted! Thanks for reminding me about "legs up the wall" :)