I’m pretty sure our barn is capable of warping
or bending Time. I can go out to the
barn to feed the horses, feel like I’m out there for at least 20 minutes—then
come in to the house and its only been about 7 minutes. Or, I can spend what I think is only “a few
minutes”, and in the “real world” it’s been over an hour. How does it do this? Is it just our barn that is some energy-time-
vortex or is it any barn? For me, our
barn is that sanctuary everyone needs to have, if only for the sake of having
the option of a safe, quiet place. The
pace of Life is just different in the barn.
Slower. Almost standing
still. Or is it that the pace of Life
outside the barn is just super-amped up?
Probably both. It’s the contrast
that I’m noticing. Almost without fail,
I can be having that feeling of being “spread too thin”, and can go to the barn…breathe…and
regain some sense of balance.
I’m sure the occupants of the barn have a lot
to do with this. Horses live in the
present moment. They don’t burden
themselves with guilt over the past, and they don’t worry about what may or may
not happen in the future. Their needs
are simple, their wants are simple.
Though they happily roll in the dirt, they never drag themselves through
the “mud”. They don’t make judgments
about themselves based on another horse’s appearance. ( Can you imagine? “She is so skinny, that means I am so fat, but
I just can’t cut back on the oats!” or “Does this saddle make my rump look big?”
)
I have a very vivid memory of a couple of years
ago when I went out to feed the horses.
It was a late evening in December, with just enough light to see, but
fading quickly. I had excused myself from the merry decorating of Christmas cookies
and pulled on my heavy coat, hat, and gloves…slipped my feet into my snowboots
and started the trek through the nearly knee-deep snow to the big red
barn. When I opened the door, Rio
quietly nickered his greeting. I forked
some hay into the two feeders, poured some grain in on top, and the horses
happily began eating their dinner. Then,
it began to snow. I don’t mean little
bits of snow, I mean the biggest, softest snowflakes I had ever seen. These flakes were easily half-dollar
size. I stood in the quiet shelter of
the barn and watched out the big stall door towards the north pasture as the huge,
fluffy, flakes meandered their way to the ground. The scent of rolled oats, molasses, and
alfalfa mingled with the sound of the softly falling snow as the fuzzy horses
gently munched their hay. I was held
captivated. I was reminded of one of my
favorite poems:
Stopping by Woods on
a Snowy Evening –by Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I thought of my little family, back in the warm
house with the fire burning, laughing as they spread frosting on their
gingerbread and carefully placing cinnamon candy to make faces on their
cookies. I thought of the barn and woods
just outside, “lovely, dark, and deep”, and I thought of my furry
companions. I sniffed as a couple of
tears rolled down my cold cheeks…I was overcome with such gratitude. Life was so good. I etched that moment into my memory—which is
good, because I have used it countless times to remind myself of the wonder of
life. When I get too overwhelmed, too
busy, too fearful…I can remember what it felt like to stand in the barn on a
snowy evening. I can find that sense of
peace, serenity, and gratitude. With yoga, I am learning how to carry that feeling
with me more often, though my life has become quite full and often hectic.
the Homestead, with the barn in the far right...
You may not have an actual barn, but it’s not the
structure that is important, as much as it is the space. If you don’t have a
space to feel safe, quiet, and peaceful…I would suggest finding or creating
one. Maybe it is on your yoga mat. Or in your bath tub. Or driving in your car. Or on your horse. Or running down a mountain trail. A space where God can remind your weary soul
that life is full of wonder...and to savor it…
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
4 comments:
Your post reminded me of my moment like that -- Winter, soft snowfall, games, laughter, dinner, family and friends, and an igloo in the backyard. Love you.
I love the way you write. You really create pictures that are just lovely. Although a barn smells different to me than it does to you, I would liked to have been there to see that beautiful scene.
Love. It. So proud that you are my sister. I love that poem also:) Thank you!
LOVE THIS! I was standing next to you as you described it! Oh the smell, the smell. There is no smell that puts me in such a state as the smell of a barn. What a beautiful life you have created!
Post a Comment