As part of
my Bodhi Yoga Instructor certification, I am to blog about my experiences…what
I learn…as a way of learning how to express myself and simply to articulate the
vast amounts of knowledge I am presented.
I chuckle a little, because (over the years and through various events)
I have become so shut down on an expressive level, that my voice is no longer
what it used to be. I used to be a
soprano, and could sing for hours and hours a day with no fatigue. Now, I can barely make it through 2 verses of
a hymn at church without my voice/throat becoming raw and painful. That has spread through other areas of my
life, like my extreme difficulty with public speaking. Or even writing my thoughts. Or not speaking
up in defense of what I know is right. The fact that I am now writing these
thoughts shows me the progress I am
making. So, I chuckle that expressing myself is a large part of my homework for
this course. Coincidence? I think not.
Why Yoga?
It would be easier to ask the question, why NOT yoga? Because—seriously—yoga makes everything else
better. Yes, everything. So to answer the “why yoga” question for me
personally, I thought I’d delve into my past a bit and share my “yoga history”.
My first
experience with yoga “up close and personal” was about 8 years ago at a chakra workshop. The presenter had a co-presenter, Syl Carson of White
Mountain Yoga. Syl would demonstrate a
yoga flow (or series of poses) that would help balance each chakra. I was intrigued. My perception of yoga up to that point was
simply that it was for super-flexible people only….and that you had to get into
some gnarly pose and hold it for as long as you could, then change the pose and
hold that as long as you could….and so on.
Therefore, I had no desire whatsoever to do yoga, (knowing how NOT
flexible I was). But Syl was not doing
that. Sure, she appeared to be super
flexible, but what she was doing looked more like a flowing dance, not acting
like a statue. In fact, she made it look
beautiful. The presenter also commented
that Syl did something called Thai Partner Yoga Therapy, and that it was “divine”. I was intrigued enough that I found White
Mountain Yoga on the web, and found that Syl was offering a guided Thai Partner Yoga Therapy workshop. I signed my husband and me up for that,
though it was clear down in Orem. We
ended up LOVING the workshop, and using what we learned for years
afterward.
I loved it
enough that I wanted to learn more about yoga.
I found a website (nestacertified.com) that offered an at home, online,
Sport Yoga Instructor certification. I
had very little desire to teach yoga to others,
but I figured going through the certification process would definitely teach me.
And it did. In the spring of 2005 I finished the course (along with a
Stress Management Specialist certification) and learned a great deal. Though, in hindsight, I had barely even
scratched the surface of the surface of yoga.
As is the case, when people find out you are certified to teach
(anything, really) I was asked to share what I’d learned with different youth
and church groups. I shared what I knew,
usually geared towards beginners, because that’s what I was.
A pic of me, in 2005, practicing the Pigeon Pose or Eka Pada Rajakapotasana
Doing yoga
(the little that I knew) and changing to a mainly vegan diet, I began to feel really
good. I felt stronger and more energetic
than I could ever remember, having been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia years
earlier. In fact, I was basically
symptom free.
Then May 24th,
2006 happened. Woah. Talk about life-altering.
After having
my nearly 1000 pound horse flip over backwards and land on my pelvis, crushing
it and my hips, I had to start all over.
A new beginning of sorts. I refer
to that day as my re-birthday. Or,
rebirth-day. At the age of 29, I had the
experience of being “put back together again”. Then relearning how to walk.
Then hike. Then ride. Then live…with lots of metal hardware. Because physical therapy was not covered under
our health insurance at the time, and because it was very difficult to get to
(in a wheelchair), with my husband’s help I used what I’d learned from yoga for
my healing and physical therapy. And
guess what? Instead of being back on a
horse after a year of intense physical therapy (like my doctors told me) I was
back hiking in southern Utah after only 4 months, and a couple weeks later,
back on a horse. (Yes, my surgeon was
shocked-pleased-astounded).
A pic of my permanent stainless steel hard-wear...
However,
because of the extensive damage I received, some things would never heal (in
this lifetime). Because of the nearly
constant pain some movements (or lack of movements) would cause, over the next few years I gradually atrophied.
The pain was just too much to deal with, so I avoided anything that
would cause it. I only became physically
weaker, which took its toll on my self-esteem.
Yoga at Lake Powell, 2008
Then the
need to surprise my husband with something REALLY cool for his birthday shocked
me back into…something…. I decided to
get him a private Thai Partner Yoga session with none other than Syl Carson of
Bodhi Yoga (was White Mountain Yoga). Yes, I succeeded in surprising him! The session was so awesome, in fact—that I
signed up for the Bodhi Thai Partner Yoga Therapy certification course. I finished that in the Fall of 2011, and I am
now (through some twists of “fate”) embarking on the 200-hour Bodhi Yoga Instructor
certification.
Yoga and me, here at the ranch, 2008
Why Yoga? Because
it makes everything else better.
Everything. And I am one who is
always looking for ways to better my experience here on this planet. I can’t
help it. I almost didn't live to see 30. I have a zest for life—for the
joy of living it fully. Anything that can help me do that gets my time and
attention.
So, here on
this blog of mine, I will practice expressing myself, and document my journey for the next few months…maybe you
can join me for part of the ride…simply by reading these things inside my
head. I hope so. Of course, you may just end up sitting on the floor with me, wondering did she really just say 'breathe like you mean it?!'

.jpg)
+2.jpg)
.jpg)
3 comments:
More please.
You are so amazing at expressing your feelings. I love reading everything you write.
-Brooke P.
Amazing journey - I'm looking forward to what the next few weeks will bring you or rather where the next few weeks will take you.
Post a Comment