Well. Its
been what…3 months since I last updated my blog? Yeah. I’ve
been living, let me tell you. I have so
much that has happened in the last 3 months I am at a loss as to where to
begin! “Start where you’re at”, says
Mark Rashid. Who is Mark Rashid, you
ask? Well, let me tell you. You can go and check out his website
here: Essentially, he is a man who has
been working with horses for almost his entire life. He has written many books, documenting in
story-form his experiences and what he has learned. All his books are wonderful, and you don’t
really have to be “in to horses” to appreciate them.
A few years ago I was introduced to his books
and philosophies, and they opened a whole new realm of understanding and
experiencing horses. This was wonderful
for me because I get it—when it comes
to horses. I came into this world
hard-wired to easily understand and grasp all things horse-related…So the fact
that all his philosophies about horses and horsemanship are totally applicable
to Life…from parenting, to self-improvement, to relationships…is wonderful! I
learn so much faster if I can understand it first through horses…then can apply
what I learn to the rest of my life.
I had a wonderful opportunity this July to
attend one of his 3 day horsemanship clinics.
My parents were attending with their two horses, and invited me along to
“audit” the classes. The first evening
was spent with Mark and his wife, Crissi, answering any questions the group
had, then he presented his philosophy of horsemanship, strongly accented with
what he has learned through the practice of the martial art, Aikido. I couldn’t stop grinning for most of it, as
what he was teaching so strongly correlated with what I’d been learning in and
through yoga, especially Thai Partner Yoga, as the horse is your partner. He
had the group practice breath work, the power of intention (the simple
exercises were often mind-blowing), and gaining an understanding of what he
meant when he talked about “feel”…all without having any horses around. My mind
couldn’t get enough of it, yet I couldn’t process fast enough. And I had read all his books! Now I was actually putting into practice,
with the master horseman-author
himself, all that he talked about in his books.
Woah.
One of the coolest things
about attending this clinic was how it prepped me for my upcoming Bodhi YogaTeacher Training. I was still on the
Mark Rashid Clinic high when I attended my first of five Bodhi Yoga weekend
classes. I was grateful for the chance to have learned some very deep and
awesome concepts first through horses, because now it clicks so much faster in
the realm of yoga. I am just hoping to
retain it!
Remember that
last post I did about running the Red Rock Relay? Remember how at the end of it I wondered what
the next “hill” would hold, and what the “view” would be like…? Well, I’ve reached the top of the foothills,
and have an amazing view of where I’ve been, and an intimidating but thoroughly
exciting view of the mountains left to climb in front of me…so here goes…
2.jpg)
3 comments:
You are such an inspiring person! I love to read your blog and am especially blessed to get to associate with you in real life too. The horse clinic sounds amazing.
Go get 'em, girl!!! Love ya!
So cool! What amazing experiences - love it when you share them!
Post a Comment