(Warning: long post ahead. Mostly pics though)
The morning of day 3 at the ranch dawned dark and snowy. Yes, snow. Though by this time, we were all a little "cabin feverish" and wanting to get out and do some exploring. We decided to drive to the BLM Paria Field Office and see about a walk-in permit for the following day. We needed to be at the office no later than 9am, so we bundled up and drove out of the Ranch via Johnson Road. I must say, I prefer driving on snowy roads to dirt roads. Quieter, and cleaner. The ground was still frozen. Our drive down Johnson Road toward Kanab was beautiful. I'd never seen the canyon country in a snowstorm. Loved it. The kids loved the cattle round up we followed down the road for a bit...until we could find a way to pass all them hides. So much for the clean car.
Below: driving toward Johnson Road...in the snow...
Below: a break in the storm letting the sunrise peek through to rest on the Pinks.
Below: driving down Johnson Road...
Below: blizzard on the way to the BLM office...
Below: hiking up the wash...
Below: Into the tunnel, we go!
ooooooo......curvy....and swirly....
below: see those happy faces?!
below: loving the yellow.
below: our swirly tunnel of stone, from the other side
check out those rock textures. so cool.
below: ant hill...awesome!
Next on the agenda was "The Toadstools" (and I don't mean frog poop), which my brother JT, said to absolutey do. He was so right. It was incredible! On our hike in, we were walking along a "dry" wash, the soil mostly a dark red. Then around a corner, came some slow moving gray-green water. A flashflood! Wildkid was so excited, I've seen "squirrels with less twitch". We watched in fascination as the greenish water covered the red mud, then we all stepped over it and kept hiking. We followed it all the way to where we saw the first giant toadstool. The kids could not suppress the urge to try and "summit" the dang thing. I just took pictures. Again, the perfect playground for kids of all ages.
below: hiking in to another planet...
wildkid, watching the "flash"flood
more "flooding"...
Below: first giant toadstool. Are we on Mars?
Below: remember, there was a snowstorm about an hour before this hike. the hills are steaming as the sun dries them...
below: oh, aren't they the cutest toadstools ever?
And, one more outing before heading back to the cabin. Off to what is known as "Whiterock". It turned out to be mostly a drive, I don't think we got out of the suv, the kids were tired...I can't imagine why. The drive is actually open to horses. I would love to ride around this area!
below: it looks like sunset, but it was 2 in the afternoon...
below: the snow on the way back to the ranch...
...and their fire pit...
below: Stargirl, milking the goat!
below: make a wish, birthday girl!
.jpg)
5 comments:
Absolutely amazing pictures and great commentary! Thanks for sharing.
What a fun adventure for you and your family! Great photos!
Love it! It really looks like the perfect season to explore down there.
OOooo! So Awesome! Yes, indeed: they are the cutest (and ruggedest) toadstools, ever. And, hey! Didst my eyes behold your daughter's debut as a photographer (nice shot of you & WM, btw)
It sounds like the perfect early winter trip. I love the picture that (I'm guessing) Stargirl took of you and WM! Your photos are awesome, as always. They bring such peace and share so much of you as well as your trip. Sure love you!
Post a Comment