Aug 4, 2009

Leatham Hollow Ride

A couple weeks ago, the parentals came to pick up "the boys", and we went for another trail ride while they were here. This time we opted for Leatham Hollow (pronounced "lay-tham", I later found out from the locals...)up Left Hand Fork (AT's old "stomping grounds".) I had never been on this trail, so it was really fun to see some new country. The trail was gorgeous. When we arrived at the "summit", Shrek had thrown a shoe, so we decided to go down Millville Canyon, because I heard it was just a dirt road...which we thought would be better for Shrek's hoof. Little did I/we know that it was a dirt road that was like an 80 degree slope, we may as well have been walking straight down a ski run. Cowboy Bob and I ended up dismounting and leading our horses, Shrek because of his hoof, and Rio because of his saddle situation. Rio has no withers to speak of, and the steep hill was VERY steep, so his saddle kept sliding up over his neck. You'll see in the video. After miles of torturous trail and many blistered feet, we made it to the bottom where Wildman was kind enough to pick up Cowboy Bob, who promptly went back for the horse trailor and picked us up. We now call it "Hellville Canyon". We learned about making sure we were prepared, though. So, this video is for Dreampacker and Cowboy Bob, to ensure that they continue to go to the trouble of hauling me and my horse with them on their trail rides. May your trails be smooth and shady...

1 comment:

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Love it, WB! Thanks! Brings back oh-so-many memories. The last time I hiked it, just before the high meadows, a superannuated aspen tried to become a widow-maker. I got out of the way in time, though. Frightening how quietly they can fall.

On behalf of Millville Canyon, I apologize. It's really quite a delightful drive in a jeep.