Nov 4, 2007

Macey's Guest?

I looked out the window this morning to see Macey playing with a strange dog out in the cow pasture. Double take! Not a dog, but a big, beautiful coyote! I got some quick footage, though not very good because they were quite a ways out there and my camera's zoom isn't all that. I was sure grateful we had Macey fixed...no need for a litter of coyote pups, no matter how cute! I thought it was cool that our dog was playing with a wild coyote rather than chasing it off to "protect her territory" (that's what Ringo is for and loves to do...) Call me crazy. Wildman said, in his 30 years, he's never seen a coyote down this far. Oh, in case you can't tell, Macey is the big dark one in the video and pics. Later, this afternoon, Ringo and Macey chased a deer out of the yard and up the mountain. They came back pretty pleased with themselves.


Below: The coyote watching Macey leave and come to me, tho I didn't call her...

8 comments:

CowboyBob said...

More rare than a dog being willing to play with a wild coyote, is a coyote being willing to play with a dog. Maybe the Millenium is closer than we think?

Bethany said...

If we sleep with our windows open at night, we can hear the coyotes howling out on the prairie.
But, let's clarify...
wolf dog and coyote?
Oh how sweet??
Jinkies Daphne, that's scary to me.

DreamPacker said...

Wow, that is amazing! What a story and great you could capture it on video.

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

That's pretty darn cool. A fugitive from the coyote farm, you figure?

Pulcheria said...

Wow! Animals capacity to make friendships (especially those we don't expect) will never fail to make me sit in awe. Great timing!

Wildman said...

I'll be damned and probably sooner than I want. I wish I could have seen that. We have had many fox that close, never a wild coyote.

Fugitive? Maybe. There are wild ones up there though. Possibly chased further down looking for food (since the fire on the mountain).

Desertbound said...

Wow.

MJ - Marv Jr said...

This was cool to see the Coyote playing with your dog. That is real unique.