Oct 9, 2007

Round-Up

So, about an hour ago, I am starting to fix some lunch. I hear Ringo (black lab) start barking. I ignore him, thinking it's probably someone out by the neighbor's driveway. However, NAM goes out to see what's going on. He comes back in saying, "mom, there's a cow out in the yard." I think, "@!#$@#$". I go out and sure enough, there is a calf wandering around the yard. And another calf. And the big 1500 pound bull. In fact, all eight of the cattle are out wandering the yard, eating fallen apples. #%$#@. Wildman is at work, and my in-laws are gone. It's just me and NAM. And the two dogs. I call Wildman and tell him what's up. He leaves work to come help me get the cattle back in the pasture. An hour later, all is well, and we find that a gate has been either left open or poorly latched by, uh, the resident old farmer. *sigh* It's moments like this that I wish I had my horse here. I'd probably be tempted to let the cattle out on "accident" just so I could ride my horse and round them up. Without a horse or a trained herding dog, it's quite a chore. Another reason we are here...to babysit the cattle? I'm just grateful they didn't cross the bridge and head into the neigbors' yards. Yikes. Can you imagine looking out your window and seeing a 1500 lbs. Black Angus bull in your flower bed? I can... :P

Above: "Panda" (the family cow) and the big bull.

8 comments:

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Oh my. What an adventure. We should weld up some big springs or struts to that gate, so it'll auto-shut... Sure, it'd add a danger of getting clamped to death, but what's one more danger on a farm, right? Funny story. Thanks for making me smile.

CowboyBob said...

I loved the story, too. Brings back many fond memories and some not so fond such as the Penz cattle (about 40 of 'em) constantly getting into our yard in Enterprise. Remember? He finally fixed his fence when I threatened to "round them up into the freezer" myself. Don't know if he heard me cocking my rifle over the phone or not. Those were the days.

Pulcheria said...

Excellent story - I have no cow stories myself, but it made me laugh and remember the one in Anne.

Deena said...

Now you can call yourself Wild Cowgirl. Panda looks amazingly like a panda bear. And holy huge bull.

Canyonsrcool said...

Cows!

Sayyadina said...

Glad it wasn't me! Cows scare me. those big eyes, glaring like they are just daring me to breathe so they can run me down and repay the hamburger favor. You're a braver woman than I.

Desertbound said...

I remember Pentz's cattle in our yard and I certainly remember the fuming Cowboybob. It seems we always had a freezer well stocked, too. Good Job, WB.

Bethany said...

Holy Cow!