Surreal to think I hiked over that ridge just over a month ago. The place was swarming with critters then. I hope most of them escaped.
Of course, the place was swarming with widow-makers, too. I was standing at a fork in the trail just before the summit, and a very tall, old aspen chose that moment to plummet. It was about 20 feet away, and fell in the opposite direction, but it was close enough. The real irony is that I remember thinking, "wow, this place could use a control-burn." Didn't happen that way. Oh well. An out-of-control-burn was necessary, then, I guess.
Thanks for letting us know about the fire you had in the hills near you. We also had fire on the hills east of our home (actually across the river bottoms). So they weren't close and we didn't need to evacuate. But we smelled the smoke and saw huge flames as you did. Pretty scary!
2 comments:
Surreal to think I hiked over that ridge just over a month ago. The place was swarming with critters then. I hope most of them escaped.
Of course, the place was swarming with widow-makers, too. I was standing at a fork in the trail just before the summit, and a very tall, old aspen chose that moment to plummet. It was about 20 feet away, and fell in the opposite direction, but it was close enough. The real irony is that I remember thinking, "wow, this place could use a control-burn." Didn't happen that way. Oh well. An out-of-control-burn was necessary, then, I guess.
Thanks for letting us know about the fire you had in the hills near you. We also had fire on the hills east of our home (actually across the river bottoms). So they weren't close and we didn't need to evacuate. But we smelled the smoke and saw huge flames as you did. Pretty scary!
Hope everything is going well for you.
Love,
Karl and Virginia Swensen
Post a Comment