Jun 12, 2007
Homesick
We’re back…and I’m homesick for the canyon country. I couldn’t get enough of it, and want to go back. Little Pocketmouse said it beautifully when we packed up our first camp and left for a new one…she said, “It feels like we’re leaving home.” We had a wonderfully adventurous trip. From the massive rain and windstorm , to the incredibly wonderful weather…from the crowded houseboat to the perfect campsites, from the towering rock walls to the emerald deep waters…from the bright stars and Milky Way to the warm, soft mornings…from barefoot hiking to towering arches, from showering in nameless waterfalls to bathing in deep cold waters…from laughing with friends and family to moments of priceless solitude…from forests of underwater cottonwood skeletons to clinging maidenhair ferns...from great expanses to intimate canyons...Yes, we’re back, but I long for home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Sometimes I wonder why we can't just live in these places. Why do they have to be for vacation? I don't know that I could ever take such beautiful places for granted. One day...
How can a place so unknown a few days ago feel so familiar. I'm with you - there was a feeling of home in those canyons. I hope we can go back next year.
It is not just the place that makes it feel like home, though I love it there and agree 100%, it is what we do while there that makes it feel so "at home". We resort to the most basics; shelter, food, family. That is one reason why the church supports girls' camp and such. Simplifying to the most basic needs makes one feel a sense of "home".
Well said, Beth. Thanks T for expressing so beautifully everthing I thought, too!
It sounds like the trip included a bit of everything. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment