Different from the Escalante and Willow, but beautiful in it’s own unique way, Iceberg Canyon was a delight. Uncle Kevin once again found an incredible campsite. After Captain’s 12-point-turnaround through the cottonwood skeletons to park the houseboat, we disembarked to another gorgeous camp. Desertbound, Michex and myself braved the cold waters and bathed and washed our hair amid the skeletal remains of trees. So fun. Laughed SO hard at the whole skinny dipping/breeching thing. Being our last night, I didn’t set up our tent, but chose instead to sleep on the upper deck underneath the stars. I remember falling asleep to the sounds of Tall-Taler Bob telling old stories to a new audience. Besides the snoring of Stan, and the UFO (unidentified floating object) that night, we slept quite peacefully under the Milky Way, which was squeezed between the dark, canyon walls. The next morning, I decided to go for an early morning stroll up our private canyon. I hadn’t gone far when I heard Dreampacker calling for my assistance. She had become precariously perched on some steep-ish slick rock and had been waiting for help to arrive. This is where I don’t mention “natural selection”… (love ya, Mom!) We packed up and again bade farewell to another special place in the vast desert.
The float back to the Marina was interrupted only to give the houseboat an enema—I mean, uh…pump out the “septic tank” at the nearest “dump station”…. We had a lot of people on the boat….apparently…who ate well….anyway, moving along…
The unloading of the houseboat at the marina went a little more smoothly than the loading, we didn’t have nasty winds to compete with. I don’t know how many handcart trips back and forth it took…too many. On our way home, we stopped in Hanksville to grab some grub at the local diner. This diner had about ten stairs leading up to a raised porch and the front door. After ordering my dinner, I turned back out to the front porch (of the crowded diner) in time to see NAM living up to his name…off the porch into the bushes. This arch had quite the span. Apparently, the bushes looked thirsty, and NAM was able to do something about it. Nice way to end the trip, eh?! (No, he never peed off the boat…to my knowledge…)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)


.jpg)
6 comments:
T,
Absolutely love your blogging. Thanks for telling such a great story! love you!
You have done a fabulous job of recounting your love for this adventure. All the photos and writings are beautiful. I am feeling a wee bit green.
Natural Selection... bwahaha!
For the record, it was Lemur who peed off the boat - in Iceberg. Thanks to Crew for telling him it was okay.
Wait a minute, this was no "natural selection" process.
1) My contribution to the gene pool is complete.
2) There was never any danger of death here. I was only concerned about my camera falling into the water and ruining all the photos I had taken thus far. My lime green flip flops were disposable, but would help on the hike out.
Even if I fell in the water, it was not that deep or far. No physical injury would have resulted. I CAN swim and have done so when necessary (such as the pools in Subway) And, Wildbound, I know you were just teasing!
Yes, Dreampacker, I'm teasing. AND, it got you to leave a comment on my blog didn't it? Now, my blog is complete. ;)
I LOVE your blog. Such a great job of capturing a bit of the essence. And thank you for loading all your photos on my computer.
Post a Comment