To celebrate our 8th Anniversary, we headed for Moab this last weekend. It was an incredibly fun and relaxing trip. Our friends, DJ&B, decided to join us. We camped at the Riverside Oasis in Moab, and did 4 different hikes. We hiked Tower Arch, the Fiery Furnace, Aaron and Danny did Delicate Arch one morning, and I did Corona Arch all by my lonesome on the last day. The kids were AWESOME hikers. They ran down trails, climbed and scrambled and shimmied all by themselves, and essentially behaved like little mountain goats. It was a riot watching them. On these hikes I wanted to see how much my hips could really take, so I pushed myself some. I deleberately carried a heavier than normal daypack (10-12 lbs) and treated my hips as normally as possible (no "babying" them). We did Tower Arch first, and by the end of the almost 4 mile hike my left hip hurt with every step. It felt like a "sprained ankle". In the Fiery Furnace the next day, it was better, and rarely hurt...however that hike was much more laid back. Corona Arch, the last day, I really pushed myself, even jogged part of the way down, and at the very end (after 3 miles) my hip did start to do the "sprained ankle" thing again. It seemd after about 3 miles, it begins to really "feel it". However, I did get stronger, and the pain in my quads from the scarring was almost not noticeable with what we did. So I'm happy that I felt almost normal. The weather was around 80 degrees, and sunny. It couldn't have been better!

This is a view through Tower Arch. Aaron is taking the picture of our little group having lunch.

The kidlets. Bree sharing Oakley's camelback...Landon and his impish grin...
(Tower Arch Hike)

Tevas vs. Chacos. I've had Tevas for years, Aaron switched over to Chacos 2 years ago and became converted. After too much chafing on this hike, and blisters on past others, I decided to try on some Chacos at REI where we stopped on our way home. Now I'm a believer. I will soon make the switch to Chacos.
(Tower Arch Hike)

Awesome Oakley, we were/are so proud of her!
(Fiery Furnace)

Us, under Kissing Turtle Arch.
(Fiery Furnace)

Father and Son...Landon was wearing his spiderman shirt.
(Fiery Furnace)

This is what the kids liked best. The greatest sand on earth!
(Fiery Furnace)

My little Wild Family
(Fiery Furnace)

Me, at Corona Arch. SWEET hike.

Corona Arch on the right, Bow Tie Arch on the left.
I will SO be going back again for more.
2 comments:
It was indeed a perfect trip, all around. Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this one - it was fantastic. You'll see some posts on my blog later today. So, when we gonna swap .jpgs? TAG - You're it!
Ps. Whoever took those shots at Kissing Turtle and your family portrait under that arch in Fiery Furnace needs a raise. That, or you could just haul your family down to share a camping spot with us at Goblin Valley on Apr. 14 (coming home by way of Meadow Hot Spring on the 15th).
@ hairyshoefairy: yes, I am. ;-)
I mean that in the most humble way possible.
@ ahenobarbus: Or maybe, you can bring over your pics when you get your glasses and cell phone and car adapter...And I'll give you a copy of the DVD I'm making. ;-P
Post a Comment