One of my yoga students graciously offered to let us board our horses at her place (a 600 acre retired cattle ranch) so last week my parents made the trek to our wild frontier town with our horses in tow. When they came, the ranch still had at least 8-10 inches of snow in places, and in other places, snow drifts nearly four feet deep. After a few days of warm, dry, breezy weather--the snow is basically gone now. I was amazed at how fast it melted, and the ground is mostly dry. I guess it is a well draining soil. It was only muddy for a couple days. So now I have a 2 yr old (next month) colt that needs some attention and training. Pictures below.
This is what happens when you come visit WY, you get to take that nap you've been needing since the dawn of time....;)
Yesterday's session with Cruize--and apparently Ember (the border collie). She wouldn't leave my side and stayed in the middle circling me as Cruize circled the outside. She's a funny dog.
This is Cruize's second time being saddled, and first time in 8 months. He acted as though he'd been doing it his whole life.
After she rushed in to nip at Cruize's heels (instinct) Ember was scolded and banished to the outside of the circle where she got to watch only--and learn that way.
Sometimes, Cruize looks like a horse....but mostly he stills looks like a gangly teenager colt.
See those peaks? Fremont Peak in the background...the second highest peak in the Winds. Oh yeah.
I thought it would be good to pony Cruize along again, see how he would do. He was mostly awesome....but water features are still out of the question.
This horse LOVES attention....can you tell?
Then O went for a ride...through Pole Creek that runs through the ranch...it is swollen with spring melt right now.
Isn't she cute?!
She is so happy to have her horse here, and Rio is happy to have her.
I didn't think we'd be out in the sun so long, and at 7100 ft. elevation...sunburning can happen quite quickly. How do I know this? Yeah. My face got a little toasty....but it's spring!!
I didn't think we'd be out in the sun so long, and at 7100 ft. elevation...sunburning can happen quite quickly. How do I know this? Yeah. My face got a little toasty....but it's spring!!



















1 comment:
Hurray! You've got your horses close (relatively) now! Kudos to your parents, thanks for the post.
Post a Comment