Apr 29, 2010

Tender Hearts

The most recent death on Angels' Landing has reminded me of a conversation I had with my kids a few days ago. Out of the blue, they started asking me about Angels' Landing, have I hiked it, and what is it like. I proceed to tell them about the trail, the heights, the cliffs, the drop-offs, the chains...then I told them they were not aloud to hike it until they turned 18 years old (only slightly kidding).
"Why?"
"Because its so dangerous."
"Why?"
I tell them,again, about the chains, the trail--or lack thereof, the 1000 foot drop-offs. I finish by telling them that people die on that hike every year. Wgirl looked thoughtful. Wkid looked distressed. He said,
"I don't want to hike it."
"You don't have to."
I don't want to go on that hike!"
"You don't have to! No one is going to make you go on that hike!"
His eyes were bright with unshed tears. I asked him why he was so upset.
"I'm so sad for all those people who died." Then the tears fell. As I cuddled and rocked him, we talked about where people go when they die. About how they see their loved ones etc. Though the tears stopped, he was quiet for some time. My own cheeks were wet as I thought about my 7 year old little boy grieving for the loss of people he'd never met.
---
Another time, just a couple of days ago, the kids were watching the end of the weekly results show of Dancing With The Stars. After watching the latest couple get voted off the show, Wkid scurried over to our big, soft chair, and buried his face in it.
"What's the matter?"
Silence.
"WK, use words, why are you upset?"
He looked up, and with tears streaming down his cheeks said,
"I'm so sad for those people leaving the show!" Then he buried his head again and audibly wailed. Again, I'm left a little speechless at the depth of his feelings. I rubbed his back for a minute, then the timer beeped, telling me the cookies were done. I pulled the chocolate chip cookies out of the oven and asked WK if he would like his cookie now. Silence. I walked over to him and asked again. He shook his head and said he was too sad right now, maybe later. Wow.

5 comments:

Kassidy said...

Awwww...

Pulcheria said...

He has such a big heart. Love how in touch he is with those feelings and expressing them (not that anything else would happen in your household).
Thanks for sharing!

CowboyBob said...

I hope he never grows out of this gift. The potential joy is worth the pain.

Sayyadina said...

Poor little guy. He and Liam should hang out more; they have a lot in common.

Marzipan said...

So cute. I just love WK.