May 6, 2008

Update


Above: spring visitors
Yesterday, little Pocketmouse woke up to the chicken pox all over! Yikes! We knew the chicken pox had been making the rounds here in the valley, we even received a letter from her school notifying all the parents about the "epidemic", warning that those children not vaccinated and even some of those who have been are both contracting the virus. Pocketmouse has been such a trooper. She has at least a couple hundred "pox"...too many to count. She hasn't had any fever or other symptoms. She is pretty bummed out that she has to miss a week of school--and a birthday party of one of her best friends. I have never known a sick child that is easier to care for though. She is so sweet, and I am so proud of her good attitude and bright spirits, even though she "itches so bad". NAM isn't quite sure what to think about it all. He just knows he doesn't want to "get it", (though he will, now). Grandma brought Pocketmouse a little treat and a card today, Pocketmouse loved that! It sure brightened her morning. Now the kids are going to go and help Grandma dig up dandelions.

Below: Pocketmouse's drawing of "The Chicken Pox" (that's NAm on the side, he's sad cause she's sick)
Below: Day 1

Above: Me and Wayfarer in China Meadows 2005

I am battling the "spring fever" feeling...we are finally getting warm weather and I ache to go ride horses. I feel border line crazy with the craving to either gallop through the hills on horseback, or hike through a slot canyon. In trying to appease myself, I went jogging yesterday, and almost made it all the way to the mailbox before having to walk. That's almost a half of a mile! Wahoo! My goal is to make it to the mailbox and back. I'm working on it...that's a marathon to me. Saturday the 31 of May, anyone want to hike to the Jardine Juniper with me? (dogs allowed on leash) It's about 11 miles round trip, last spring Wildman and I did it in about 5 hours...no kids. It's a great moutain biking trail...but I'm still working on not falling off the bike, and going in a straight line...so I won't be biking any mountain trails in the near future...tho I sure wouldn't mind riding a horse on the Jardine Trail....

Above: The Jardine Juniper, May 2007

I am also still pluggin away at preparing my yoga presentation for May 16th. I'll be glad when its over. Then I have my final exam for zoning on the 29th. I am SO looking forward to JUNE!!!! I pretty much fantasize about lying on the warm slickrock, while Lake Powell gently laps at my feet...while the little ones play in the "greatest sand on earth"...aaaahhh....41 days until departure for Lake Powell Expedition II...

Below: Willow Gulch, you know you want to...

Wildman is swamped with school and work and spring maintenance, He's looking forward to July...when school will be all done....aaahhh.....so, what's going on in your neck of the woods?

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Nice update. I am so sorry about the infamous springtime round of pox. I hope she is not too miserable when they start to itch. Kass has several pox scars. Nothing like having spring fever, then being "cooped up" with the pox. They are filling our pool as I write. Summer is around the corner.

Deena said...

When I had the chicken pox, I'm missed my sixth grade graduation. Kind of a bummer, but I have obviously recovered. Has she tried oatmeal baths? That seems to help some.

Pulcheria said...

Give Pocketmouse our love. It's miserable to itch like that - but I'm glad that's the worst of it.

Sayyadina said...

Great. Now you have got me all "spring feverish." poor Pocketmouse. Give her our love. Lemur asked about NAM today as we transplanted plants from MRR.

Desertbound said...

Poor pocketmouse:(