Jun 20, 2007

Chapter 2: Blissfully Floating...

So, we’re blissfully floating down Lake Powell, enjoying the spectacular scenery. Gorgeous rock walls, beautiful water…aaah….and then-- “AAAAHHHHHH! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! AAAaH!” A wave from a passing boat has made our houseboat rock a bit…and Mayflower is screaming. Piercing your ears kind of screaming. No. nothing is wrong, and we can’t tell if she’s just excited, scared, dramatic, or all of the above.

Bad-Backer Bob learned how to drive/steer our sea-worthy vessel and enjoyed that control—I mean experience. The kids ran to and fro, up and down, always wearing their life jackets in case one took a tumble into the deep blue. Some people napped, some just relaxed in the warm sunshine, some went exploring on the wave-runners.... Below are some pictures of our 40-mile float to the Escalante….

Above: Starting at the top red dot (Bullfrog Marina)....we floated down the yellow line, then up the pink line (The Escalante), then the green line (Willow Gulch) to get to our first campsite.

Above: Tenacious Tamarisk. The Brownish color of the rock is its natural color. The white-ish color below the tamarisk is the high water level...the white is the calcium carbonate deposits from the water. Nice bathtub ring.



3 comments:

Deena said...

That place is so beautiful!

Sayyadina said...

OOOH! Do more, do more! I love this story!

Canyonsrcool said...

Ohhh I like the ariels, that's my specialty you know. . . . I wish I could have gone with you all. Well another day will come . . . .