May 24, 2007

One Year

Below: Me and the bouquet of flowers Wildman gave me to celebrate our one year anniversary. I say "our anniversary" because it happened to both of us. To all of us.


As the anniversary of my accident has rapidly drawn near, I have had a strong desire to put on paper my feelings about it. I'm finding it very difficult. I have all these abstract thoughts and feelings, and seem to be at a loss as to how to organize them enough to write them.

I have found that the weather triggers flashbacks. I have found that I have an extreme desire to slow down. My favorite thing to do lately is to sit in a lawn chair on the patio and bask in the warm sunshine...doing absolutely nothing. I let my mind just wander. There are times when I feel like the accident happened to someone else, it feels so distant and storylike. I look at and feel my scars, and the memories of what happened are there, but feel so far away. There are other times when I am blindsided and overwhelmed by the raw emotions and feelings I experienced during that time...so I know they are all still there and that it really did happen to me. The pain I experience daily is an almost constant reminder of what happened. I am changed. I find it so much easier to not only enjoy, but appreciate the little and simple things in life. There are also the BIG things I realize and appreciate more...like being able to walk to the bathroom by myself. Or, just walking. Or being able to wrestle with my kids, or hike through a canyon, or enjoy the warm sunshine because I'm in it, not looking at it through a window....or hug my horse and breathe in that wonderfully horsey smell. The act of walking, to me, is now a symbol of freedom and the freedom of choice. The fact that I am not only alive, but walking and alive, running and alive, riding and alive, hiking and alive, is proof that there is a living God who loves me and watches over me. Though my 900 pound panicked horse crushed me into the hard ground, shattering my pelvis and fracturing my spine, I didn't have one single bruise. The only bruises I ever had were from the IV's and blood draws in the hospital. Though I had bones tear through my flesh, my bladder did not rupture or burst, and I had no organs even remotely damaged. My femoral artery was not severed and I did not bleed to death before the paramedics arrived. I never had any complications from surgery or medications. I walked after three months and rode my horse again only five months after the accident. To me, this says that my experience was "hand-tailored". There was no more and no less than what I needed to experience to gain the most. I am changed. I don't simply want to be alive, I want to live.

3 comments:

Muad'Dib said...

We're glad you're here. We're also glad of what you've learned and are learning.

And what the heck is "coyote teaching/learning"?

Canyonsrcool said...

We're happy you both are here, we love you guys and hope to see you soon! "Miracles" happen.

Sayyadina said...

See, you can write beautifully!
I'm so proud of you.
I love you both so much.